These easy green office tips can help save energy, money and resources!
1. Be bright about light: Turn off the lights when you’re leaving a room for 15 minutes or more and utilize natural light when you can.
2. Maximize computer efficiency: Each year, computers in the business sector waste $1 billion worth of unnecessary electricity. Program computers to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.
3. Print smarter: The average U.S. office worker goes through 10,000 sheets of copy paper a year. Use PDFs where possible and make sure printers are programmed to print on both sides of the paper.
4. Responsible Disposal: Any electronic waste that can’t be refurbished should be disposed of properly.
5. Ramp up your recycling: Just about any kind of paper you would encounter in an office, including fax paper, envelopes, and junk mail, can be recycled.
6. Conserve Water: Installing low-flow fixtures and aerators on faucets in your building will conserve gallons of water each year.
7. Watch what (and how) you eat: Provide reusable dishes, silverware, and glasses. Offer filtered water and encourage employees to avoid plastic bottles.
8. Rethink your travel: Take the train, bus, or subway when feasible instead of a rental car when traveling on business.
9. Reconsider your commute: Make it easy for employees to take alternative modes of transportation to get to the office, by offering bike parking, or organizing a carpool board.
10. Create a healthy office environment: Use non-toxic cleaning products and brighten up your office with plants, which absorb indoor pollution.
Source: The Sierra Club